Quiz: The Ultimate Diabetes and Losing Weight Quiz: HowStuffWorks
The Ultimate Diabetes and Losing Weight Quiz
4 Min Quiz
Image: refer to hsw
About This Quiz
Losing weight may simply be the most important thing you can do to help with diabetes management. Although losing weight is difficult and involves huge lifestyle changes, you may not actually have to lose as much weight as you think. Relatively small amounts of weight loss can drastically improve your blood glucose management. Take this quiz and learn how losing weight can improve your diabetes.
What may happen if you lose weight and have diabetes?
When people with type 2 diabetes lose weight, they sometimes experience a natural drop in their blood glucose levels. This means they need less diabetes medication to manage their blood glucose.
What should you do if you want to lose weight and have diabetes?
Fad diets, or simply limiting your caloric intake, don't work. Instead, join a weight-loss program and take advantage of all their services, including counseling and dietician consultation.
What psychological technique is effective for losing weight?
A large body of research has shown that behavior modification can successfully help you lose weight. This program involves replacing your bad habits, such as overeating, with good ones.
What percentage of weight loss is needed to show changes in insulin sensitivity?
A mere 5 percent weight loss leads to increased insulin sensitivity, decreased need for diabetes medication and lower blood glucose levels.
What percentage of people with type 2 diabetes who have gastric bypass surgery experience complete diabetes remission?
Approximately 75 percent of people with type 2 diabetes that undergo gastric bypass surgery no longer experience diabetes related health concerns after surgery. Moreover, the remaining 25 percent generally experience substantial improvement in blood glucose management.
What percentage of gastric bypass patients begin to gain weight 24 months after the surgery?
When you consider the “success rate” of gastric bypass surgery and improvement of diabetes related issues, consider that 50 percent of gastric bypass patient start to regain weight 24 months after the surgery.
You should consider loosing weight to improve diabetes related health issues if your body mass index (BMI) is over:
Consider losing some weight if your BMI is over 24. This will help improve your diabetes management. The amount of weight you need to lose depends on your height and how much you weigh.
If you have diabetes, your food diet plan for losing weight should emphasize:
Your food diet plan should be approved by your doctor. The diet should emphasize fruits, vegetables and whole grains, with a moderate amount of protein.
Your exercise plan for losing weight should include:
Your exercise plan, first of all, should be approved by your doctor. Never push yourself too hard, as your exercise plan should have reasonable limits. Also consider keeping an exercise diary, which can provide you with perspective about how exercise impacts your health.
If you are 5 feet 5 inches tall (1.67m) and have a BMI of 27, how much weight should you lose for better diabetes management?
If you lose between 5 to 10 percent of your weight you can experience significant improvement in your diabetes management. Hypothetically, if you are 5 foot 5, with a BMI of 27, you need to lose 18 pounds (8 kilos).
How much do you know about dinosaurs? What is an octane rating? And how do you use a proper noun? Lucky for you, HowStuffWorks Play is here to help. Our award-winning website offers reliable, easy-to-understand explanations about how the world works. From fun quizzes that bring joy to your day, to compelling photography and fascinating lists, HowStuffWorks Play offers something for everyone. Sometimes we explain how stuff works, other times, we ask you, but we’re always exploring in the name of fun! Because learning is fun, so stick with us!
Get smarter every day! Subscribe & get 1 quiz every week.
Playing quizzes is free! We send trivia questions and personality tests every week to your inbox. By clicking "Sign Up" you are agreeing to our
and confirming that you are 13 years old or over.